Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Easiest 4th of July Wreath You'll Ever Make


The other day I shared a wreath I made on my Facebook Page and promised I'd share the tutorial on how I made it on my blog.

Before we get started let me say that I've made wreaths before and they can be very time consuming. This one was not! It really was the quickest and easiest wreath I've ever made. Total working time is approximately 1 1/2 hours or how however long it takes to watch a no-commercial Disney movie on TV with the kids!

The inspiration for this wreath came from HERE.

Felt all cut up
Here's what you'll need to make your own:
  • 12" Foam Wreath - $5 (check your local Dollar Store for wreaths. Mine were out of stock so I went to one of the big name stores)
  • 11 sheets Blue Felt - $2.64
  • 12 sheets White Felt - $2.88
  • 11 sheets Red Felt - $2.64
  • Heat N Bond - $2.00 (not needed if you cut your stars by hand)
  • Straight Pins - had some in my stash
  • Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks (Or Fabric Glue)
  • Total Supply Cost = $15.16

I didn't take photos of the step-by-step process but it's so easy I don't think you'll need it. THIS tutorial has step-by-step for those that prefer visual instructions.
  1. Cut each felt sheet into 4ths (fold in half and cut, then fold in half and cut again). They will be rectangular.
  2.  Diagonally match two ends together. Then diagonally match the other two ends. It won't line up exactly but that's OK. 
  3. Pin your "triangle" onto your wreath with straight pins (depending on the size of your pins you may need to use two per piece). Continue pinning pieces next to each other. For a fuller wreath pin your pieces close together. The closer you pin the more felt you need! I started with the blue section and then alternated with 7 rectangles of red and 7 of white. 
  4. To make the stars I used my Cricut Explore and Design Space Software to cut 13 stars at 1 1/2" each. If you're cutting with your cricut you'll need to iron Heat N bond to the felt to sturdy it up. You'll also want to use the multi-cut function to cut twice. If you don't have a cricut you can trace or freehand draw a star and cut by hand. Once cut arrange stars to your liking and glue onto the wreath.

I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and the finished product. Here's a pic of me and two of my kids before we ran our 4th of July 5K...in full costume of course!


Do you decorate for the 4th? Leave me a comment and let me know your favorite 4th of July decoration.

Have a wonderful day!
~Michelle Battitori

No comments:

Post a Comment